Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Once a victim....

Amma,with both her parents in the teaching profession, wouldn't think of spoonfeeding her kids....
Any doubt would result in her ususal monotonic "Rachelin, bring the dictionary"..Ma was even more adamant not to help with the meanings of the words either..It seems you learn better when ya do it by yourself...;)....So a simple doubt would always result in me looking up the meanings of word after word and eventually forgetting what the original one was...I surely didint increase an inch of my vocabulary or verbal ability with her method...

So when my sis grew older,I realised that another victim was growing up and I would gain freedom....I began listening behind the door and relishing the ma-daughter conversations they had...I would smile with glee when she got pinched or beaten for being naughty...I would grin with pleasure when she got scoldings...And strangely ma always used the same dialogues...So it was almost like listening to the whole thing that I experienced once again and joyfully realising that Im no longer the prey...;)....

So I was naturally pleased one fine morning when my sis asked her a doubt....I faintly heard it as I awoke from that deep slumber I was having beneth my bed covers in my locked room....That was it...Imagine the joy of seeing her take the encyclopedia and rummaging through the pages helplessly..Whoa....I smiled my sadistic smile and quietly opened the door to hear longingly ma's "Bring the encyclopedia"...
I was already practising the smirk I should give my sis when she plodded past my room to take it.....Or maybe I should settle with a sympathetic look!!Or maybe...I couldnt decide....And then I heard a familiar "Rachelin, bring the dictionary...."

Some things never change...Once a victim,always a victim........

8 comments:

Neethu said...

wold u bring the encyclopedia to colg as wel?:P

rachelin george said...

hehe...ive bcm tooo lcever nw...dun need the buk nymre..im a mini encyclopedia nw...hhe

Quest said...

I was also told to refer to dictionary when I wanted the meaning of a word...but that was only once or twice....after that I took the more than 2kg dictionary and kept it with my books.... ;) nwadays its the pocket version+on board pc dictnry...

patenting ur new mini-encylpedia technology? :D

Anonymous said...

blog menu page disappeared.. and i dint go to any other profile for sure...

hii guys..hmmm..wat 2 say abt miself.....well ppl who no me well say that im an endless chatterbox...yup...i can go on blabberin' 4 endless hours

now do ya believe?

Neethu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Neethu said...

u r tagged...AGAIn..

rachelin george said...

@chriz..
hmmm....yeah...so i gez ya tracked me right.....

Anonymous said...

but what happened to the dictionary?